Helping News January, 2009 Issue 6
De-Stress and Energize during the Cold Months
Dark, cold and bitter months of Winter can be a challenge to manage. Many of us in the colder climates find ourselves fatigued, stressed and unenthusiastic. The season often sets up many of us for a sense of gloom, exhaustion and even depression. If not
at it, we can find
ourselves just wishing
time away until the
sun returns. Looking
forward to Spring is
widespread, but can
result in a shortening
of experiences and
lives. Rather than
emptiness, we can
de-stress, and seize
opportunities to energize
Try these suggestions for De-stressing and Energizing:
* Wherever you are, occasionally stop what you're doing, focus on your
surroundings, breathe slowly and deeply and simply watch.
* Practice progressive relaxation: Beginning with the top of your head, your face, neck tense all the muscles for a few seconds, then release and relax. Then move down through chest, back, stomach, hips, into your thighs, calves... all the way to your feet, to the tips of your toes... tense for a few seconds then relax.
* Brief exercise: For de-stressing, increasing your heart rate for only 1-2 minutes is all you need to experience release and counteract temporary tension.
* Longer, moderate outdoor exercise: A 30minute walk, a stroll in the park, sled riding with the kids, and walking the dog allow you to produce anti-stress agents in your body, energize and expand your awareness.
* Plan and select activities special to Winter:
Going to an indoor sporting event, planning a
special dinner, planning a special Winter trip
can spice up the cold months.
* Do something out of the ordinary, and commit
it to memory for future Winters: Taking a midnight
walk in the snow or having a Winter picnic can
produce a memorable twist to the season.
* Eat healthily: Be aware of your diet, don't overload on sweets and carbohydrates, which is a common impulse in the colder months. Tried and true diet of vegetables, fruit, and protein packed snacks is vital this time of year.
More information coming...